Super Savory Potato Salad



This past week, I've been very busy at my new job, and quite successful. I'm housewifing it hardcore this week, for reals.

Normally, I am left to my own devices Monday through Thursday, as my husband works out of town. But this week and next he is home every day, as he got stuck with grand jury duty. The downsides are missed face-time with his client, and fitting in hours of work and conference calls between cases. The upside is that he gets to eat every meal at home for two weeks, sleep in his own bed, and enjoy the company of our dog Misty, and me his lovely wife.

It's been really good, so far. It's been challenging coming up with two vegetarian meals a day, interesting enough to satisfy us both. But fun, too. Each day my husband comes from the courthouse (only 2 blocks away) at lunch. He arrives, earbuds attached, in the middle of a work call. The calls are continuous - sometimes two at a time - through the hour. There's not a minute to spare between calls and laptop work.

This is where super-housewife abilities come into play. The requirements are: vegetarian lunch, edible with one hand, not too crunchy as to distract from the phone conversation, filling enough to last the next 5 hours. Luckily, my man is happy to eat anything I put in front of him, and fully appreciative of the service. It's kind of fun I think.

Tuesday I served up leftover corn chowder and pasta salad (part of my increased fiber initiative). The pasta salad was not the greatest, I'm not sure why. But, I guess this sparked the picnic food craving in him, because he actually made a request for potato salad. Thursday morning, I happened to have a lot of energy, and was busy in the kitchen. As I baked a loaf of zucchini bread, I also got to work on the potato salad.

My husband tends to like simple food. Since he originated this request, I kept the salad simple, instead of experimenting or overcomplicating as I tend to do. Sometimes simple is best, and potato salad is no exception. But, I do have one secret ingredient to make the basic potato salad exceptionally savory: Mrs. Dash. The seasoning mix sits in the back of my spice drawer, since it mostly lends itself to meats. But I have found that it makes an outstanding potato salad. This week I re-confirmed that fact with a thumbs-up gesture from the talking, working, chewing man.

Super Savory Potato Salad
4 servings (side dish)


3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes (about 2 C)
3/4 C cucumber, preferably hothouse/seedless with skin on - diced
1/2 C celery, sliced
1/4 C scallions, white and green parts chopped (about 2 scallions)
1/2 C light mayo, preferably Hellmann's
2 T Mrs. Dash original seasoning mix
Salt & Pepper to taste


Add potatoes to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, about 8 minutes.  Drain and cool completely.


In a bowl, combine cucumber, celery, scallions and potato. Add mayo and seasonings to taste. Serve chilled. 




Comments

Trending Posts