Chocolate Marshmallow Crispy Treats


I never really forgot about Rice Krispies Treats. They were a classic when I was a kid. Then Kellogs started offering pre-packaged treats. Although marshmallows are just what I think of as stupid chemicals anyways, I always preferred the homemade version to the packaged. There was nothing like fresh treats.

In college, a bunch of us would break from fashion studio hours for dinner together at the dining hall. One of my classmates reminded me how easy it was to make Krispies Treats. Just take some of the puffed rice cereal, add some marshmallows from the hot cocoa bar, and some butter from the bread bar, and pop the bowl in the microwave. Stir, eat your chicken nuggets and tater tots. When you're done, fresh Krispie Treats in a bowl are waiting. Or don't wait at all. Just eat them gooey, straight away.

Growing up, we typically had Cocoa Krispies around, since that was my kid-cereal of choice back in the 80's. The original flavor was bland to me, and I would just pour sugar on top. My parents had (and still have) a box in the cupboard just for chocolate and cookies - so the fact that I preferred chocolate cereal was no surprise considering my genes. And they made much more exciting Krispies Treats.

Recently, I've been venturing out from the office for a Starbucks Krispie Treat from time to time. However, they insist on calling them "Dream Bars" which fails to trigger nostalgic feelings such a treat should. I'm sure it's a legal thing, but come on, we all know it's a Rice Krispie Treat. No need to correct me every time I order it, it's really not my problem. We all grew up here, we know what I want... dammit, just let me order it how I want! I do find them slightly 'dreamier' than the packaged version, though, since they seem fresh, and are less densely packed. And they have extra marshmallows hanging out in there.

I can't remember the last time I actually pressed a pan of my own treats. I really can't. Have I even made them since moving to New York? Why not?

I decided to make a pan this weekend, modeled after the airy Starbucks version. But Fresh Direct didn't have original Rice Krispies. It seemed that they wanted me to buy their version of the Krispie Treat pre-made. I'm not falling for that. I bought Cocoa Krispies instead, and created a superior treat dotted with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.

I had one after lunch yesterday. Two after second lunch. And one for breakfast with coffee this morning. My husband was laughing at me. C'mon, it's cereal, it's totally appropriate!


Chocolate Marshmallow Crispy Treats

3T butter
1 10.5oz bag of mini marshmallows, divided into 4 C and 1 C
6 C Cocoa Krispies or other chocolate puffed rice cereal
1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate morsels

In a large pot melt the butter over low heat. Add 4 C marshmallows and stir until almost completely melted together.

Remove from heat and add cereal, quickly stirring to combine. Add the chocolate chips and 1 C marshmallows and quickly fold in. 

Pour the whole mess into a 13" x 9" x 2" pan (nonstick, or coated with cooking spray). Press down gently with waxed paper or a spatula. 

Cool completely before cutting into bars, if you can wait!




Comments

Trending Posts