Latin-Inspired Rock Shrimp and Avocado Salad Rolls


I looove lobster rolls. I loooove looove Luke's Lobster rolls. Which is why I was overcome with joy the other day when I checked my NYC Food Truck list on Twitter, to realize their truck "Nauti" was parked RIGHT DOWNSTAIRS! I was so happy I couldn't have a normal human-being type conversation with anyone, with any logic whatsoever, until I got my lobster roll back to my desk. Mmmmm!

But, I realize that not all of us can enjoy a superb, juicy, buttery, foodgasm-worthy lobster roll fresh off the boat from Maine all the time.

In our apartment, there is a strict "no killing in the house" rule. And if you've been reading a while, you know that my husband is vegetarian & Hindu in upbringing (animals are to be respected as equals). I cook mostly vegetarian. We've tried to be more vegan-like. Truth is, when the mood strikes, I still cook fish, chicken, or whatever I want. But there is one rule - probably the only real rule my husband has ever insisted on. No killing in the house!

Since I'm not to prep lobster in the house, and the pre-cooked tails are terribly expensive, I fill the void with shrimp. I'm finding lately that wild rock shrimp have a more lobster-y, authentic, saltwater-ish flavor than regular farmed shrimp.

I had sautéed some rock shrimp last week for a cashew stir-fry, and had a bunch leftover. I happened to have some nice soft whole-wheat hot-dog buns around, so I decided to make the shrimp into a cool, refreshing salad. I tossed in some cucumber for crunch, avocado for buttery flavor, lime and cilantro to compliment avocado and brighten the flavors.

On the buttered, toasted bun, the shrimp salad almost meets the "I'm-craving-a-lobster-roll" requirements. The latin-inspired flavors give it a personality of it's own, making each bite a "wow-this-s**t-is-good" in it's own rite. And we've created a whole new thing to crave.



Rock Shrimp and Avocado Salad Rolls

2 servings


1 C rock shrimp, seasoned (salt, pepper, adobo or garlic) & cooked, roughly chopped

½ C cucumber, diced

½ C avocado, cubed

1 – 2 T fresh lime juice

Kosher Salt

Black Pepper

Cayenne pepper

2 T light mayo

¼ C cilantro, chopped



Hot dog buns, buttered and toasted



Toss shrimp, cucumber and avocado with lime juice, salt, pepper, cayenne and mayo to taste. Stir in cilantro and refrigerate until ready to eat.



Grill or toast some buttered hot dog buns and stuff with salad. Sprinkle with paprika and serve with fries (or chips) and pickles on the side.


Comments

Trending Posts