Hearty Vegan Meatloaf Dinner


The chill in the air is getting stronger here in New York. It hailed, randomly, again this morning. I guess that's a good thing.  In my business, we have a love-hate relationship with inclement weather. People don't really buy what they need until they need it these days, and it takes a nice storm to get people out there to buy their kids some coats.

The cold weather makes me desire shopping too, but it's not really about need. It just starts to feel like the holidays and I naturally gravitate towards buying things. It also switches our brains into full-on comfort food mode. Tonight was the perfect night to break out that vegan meatloaf I picked up and smother a plate of food in delicious gravy.

Although I spent most of my life in meat & potatoes land, I can honestly say I've never fancied meat loaf. Ground meat in general just turned me off with it's loose texture, and yeah, well, I won't go into all of it. But the vegan version is just fine by me, and totally healthy. The Field Roast version has chunks of carrots, celery, tomatoes and mushrooms amidst it's signature grainy wheat-gluten "meat". I spread on a layer of ketchup and baked it 30 minutes, as per the instructions, and whipped up a big pot of "no-chicken" gravy. A side of simple boiled, mashed, yellow potatoes and green-beans almondine with Earth Balance completed the plate.

The loaf was another new experience for my husband, who's certainly never eaten meatloaf. Both of us will be having a nice container of leftovers to look forward to at lunch tomorrow!

Vegan Gravy
2 C "No Chicken" Broth ("no chicken" tastes better than vegetable stock, if you can find it)
1 T Dijon Mustard (such as Grey Poupon Dijon with White Wine)
1 T Nutritional Yeast Flakes (or more to taste)
1 T Earth Balance margarine
2 T Flour
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper

Bring broth to a simmer over medium heat. Add the rest of the ingredients, seasoning to taste. Whisk the flour and butter in to make a smooth consistency, be careful not to let it burn down. Continue to simmer until thickened, adding more flour if needed.

Comments

Jen Treehugger said…
Is that a shop bought meatloaf? It looks scrummy - the whole plateful would do me just grand right now.
Deena Mehta said…
Yes, I got it at Whole Foods - even the leftovers are good!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the recipe. Now I want this!

Happy MoFo'ing!

Trending Posts