Healthy Monday: A Latin Twist on Banana Bread


As usual, Monday is gym day. Maybe it was the pictures of me 10lbs lighter (and still looking chub) that my sister-in-law posted online a few days ago, but I have just got to keep working hard if I want to even maintain what I have going on. #1: Keep the drinking to a minimum. So far so good. #2. Do more cardio. Check. 50 minutes on the elliptical. #3. Eat a little less, and a little better. Sunday: Vegetarian soy sausage and whole wheat spaghetti. Monday: Black beans, brown rice and plantain bread. If I can just keep this going all week...

Speaking of Monday's dinner, the dilemma was to somehow tie in a very very black plantain into something healthy. So my husband assembled some black beans to go over rice, while I made a very quick bread out of the plantain. I think it's as healthy as possible with what I had on hand. It came out alright, although it could've been just a little more moist - maybe I would use more applesauce next time. Here is the recipe:
PLANTAIN WALNUT BREAD
Dry ingredients:
3/4 C Whole wheat flour
¾ C All Purpose flour
1-1/4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
------
Wet ingredients:
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1 C mashed (about 1 medium) Black skinned plantain - skin removed
½ C Dark brown sugar
¼ C white sugar
1/3 C unsweetened, lite, apple sauce
-----
¼ C chopped Walnuts
Non-stick spray

Heat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients together. In a large bowl mix the wet ingredients together. Add the dry to the wet and stir to combine, letting there be lumps but no dry flour. Stir in the nuts. Spray a 8x8 baking pan with non-stick spray and pour in the batter. Bake about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.


Comments

Trending Posts