Soup for Lunch

Pretty Irresistible Zucchini

Another rainy day in the city. Just before it began, I was able to get a few things from the farmer's market in Union Square. I filled my canvas bag with rhubarb, peas and zucchini before I ran out of cash. Farmer's markets are so expensive these days, but the produce are so much fresher, and the plants so much healthier. Speaking of which, I picked up a healthy looking Nasturtium. According the the sign posted, they are easy to grow and also entirely edible. The bright orange flowers and climbing vine will also be beautiful if I succeed at keeping it alive. I've never been able to keep plants before, but I am trying again, since we have large windows and lots of sunlight in the new apartment.

I returned from the market hungry and inspired, so I used part of the zucchini to complement what I had around the house in a chunky vegetable soup. I enjoyed it while I watched the rain clouds close in on Manhattan.

CHUNKY VEGETARIAN MINESTRONE
For 2-3 Servings:
¾ C Organic Whole-Wheat Elbows (I used Delallo, as it stays al dente instead of falling apart like most wheat pasta)
1 Small russet potato cut into 3/8” cubes
¼ Vidalia Onion, cut into small strips
¼ C – 1/2C zucchini chopped into small chunks
1 small tomato chopped into small chunks
1-1/2 C Organic Vegetable stock (from a box)
Olive Oil (1 Tbsp)

Seasonings:
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Fresh Thyme
Shredded Parmesan

Boil water for pasta, then cook pasta about 5 minutes then drain. Meanwhile, sauté onions in olive oil in medium saucepan. Cook for 3 minutes, add potatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring. Add zucchini and sprinkle with salt pepper and garlic powder. Sauté for another 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock and thyme. Bring to a boil then simmer about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Add pasta right before serving. Stir together. Serve with shredded parmesan, cracked pepper.



Comments

Trending Posts